Tuesday 22 October 2013

25, 50, 75, 100!

Some people are amazing in school, some people are not. Passing a class all has to do with getting above that important number, 50! I can say that there have been times when I did not believe that I could do it.

Where do we sit?
But, what would happen if the passing mark was no longer 50? What if it was higher, much higher? Say, 75 or 80?

Take a minute and think of last year. How many classes would have turned into a fail? As hard as you might try, some students will never reach these marks.

In life today all that matters is your GPA.

Do you think that you would try harder to meet the passing grade? Or would you just give up?

I have no idea what I would do. I love school, so I have an easier time with it. But, I already feel stressed when my marks aren't supper high. I know for a fact that high school stress levels would go up for everyone. We would all be fighting to pass and to get the edge on everyone else.

Are we too dependent on grades? Do you overlook the person and their perseverance? I think we do. If you take a walk around any school you will see a number of things. There will be an Honor Role board somewhere, students who have gotten academic awards have their name posted somewhere and you also have the cliques.

People base their friendships on grades and brains, more and more each year.

There is also an increased need to have the best marks as you get into the higher grades. By grade 12 you must be the top of you class to get into the best schools.

That is not fair. And it would only get worse if the passing grade went up. How do yo think you would react to the change if there was one?

5 comments:

  1. It would have been horrible for me. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the passing mark was higher than 50 then I feel that I would work to reach that goal and above because I know it would be the passing mark and when I do something and I don't try even a little bit then it's not fair. If the passing grade went up though then I feel that students would think that school is too hard and so many would focus only on school that the social aspect of school would be very slim. Do you feel it's unfair how universities look heavily on the grades of a student? What if the student was a couple percentages away from getting into the program but because he was a bit lower they don't accept him even though he is busy with helping out in the community and he's busy with extra curricular activities. Some universities do look at these things but do you feel they should look at them a bit more while still looking at the cut off average?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with the phrase "in life today all that matters is your GPA" I think school is more about the experience then marks. Just because you didn't have good marks in high school doesn't mean you had a bad time in highschool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it really depends on the course..if it went up to say an 80% for a passing grade, then i'd have to drop down to applied math..maybe even fast forward. but for say, human growth and development or art or music then i'd just have to give a little more effort but I could probably meet that standard. every has their own strengths and weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like there shouldn't even be minimum grade levels in order to pass a class. I believe that students need to focus on their own goals and their passing grade should depend on that. For some kids, school is so hard, while for others, it's so easy and comes naturally to them. If the average was changed though, I think that expectations would have to be lowered by universities and colleges.

    ReplyDelete